Writing Essentials for the Elementary Pianist
Help your student explore the basic patterns of music that build the foundation of musicianship and technique. Ages: 7 and up.
MAJOR SCALES and CHORDS taught in Book 2 are: B, F#, C#, Ab, Eb, Bb; (including enharmonic keys Db, Gb, and Cb); along with their parallel 5-note minor scales and the relative natural minor scales. Building root position authentic cadences to introduce the tonic - dominant relationships are included. Quizzes, keyboard exploration exercises, a technical supplement with complete fingerings, and the answer key are also provided.
Suggestions on How to Use the Writing Essentials
- There are 8 worksheets associated with each major key
- Each section is divided by tone centers
- Teachers with young students:
- Begin with major 5-note patterns of each chapter
- Follow by corresponding parallel minor patterns
- Follow by simple intro to the major scale in easy keys
- More advanced students may enjoy the challenge activities & additional exploration of minor keys.
Recommended Music Theory Curriculum:
5-note and 8-note major scales on B, F#, C#, Ab, Eb, Bb
Introduces enharmonics on major keys Cb, Gb, and Db
Presents 5-note parallel minor patterns
Introduces relative natural minor patterns
Provides step-by-step teaching narrative
Easy to use for independent study
May be adapted for group lessons
Includes keyboard discovery activities
Clarifies theory concepts for all students
SpecificationsSize: 8.5" x 11"
White 28 lb. Paper
B&W and greyscale; Spiral Bound
Answer key included